Lights out for 60
News from and 40-watt standard bulbs as of Jan. 1 – Lincoln Journal Star:

The 60- and 40-watt incandescent light bulbs are going the way of the Twinkie, but unlike the golden sponge cake they won’t make a comeback.

A federal law bans companies from manufacturing or importing those specific light bulbs — the most popular in the country — as of Wednesday.

Local hardware and home improvement stores will have them on the shelves until supplies run out.

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 launched a three-year plan to replace standard light bulbs, invented by Thomas Edison nearly 140 years ago, with more energy-efficient, compact fluorescent light bulbs, or CFLs, halogens and light-emitting diodes, or LEDs.

One-hundred-watt incandescent bulbs were phased out in 2012, followed by 75-watt bulbs in 2013. And now, the 60- and 40-watt bulbs are on the federal government’s hit list for 2014. 

Signed by former President George W. Bush, the goal of the controversial legislation is to help the U.S. make better use of its resources, reduce carbon emissions from coal plants and become more energy independent.

Consumers pay two or three times more for the new replacement bulbs, but the U.S. Department of Energy says they don’t waste energy and last longer, saving money in the long run. 

A standard incandescent light bulb is 10 percent efficient; the other 90 percent of the electricity it uses is l…………… continues on and 40-watt standard bulbs as of Jan. 1 – Lincoln Journal Star

… Read the full article
.

Related News:

Lighting the landscape with LEDs – Charleston Post Courier
News from Lighting the landscape with LEDs – Charleston Post Courier:

  • Customer Care
  • Shopping
    • Todays Ads
    • Restaurants
    • Specials
    • Entertainment

… Read the full article


{rss}
.

Related News:
{yahoonews}

{rss}